28 May 2009

HOLD THE FRONT PAGE (AGAIN)!

Your genial bloghost hasn't quite managed to push MPs' expenses claims off the front page of the Daily Telegraph, but has managed to get quoted a second time by that paper. (The first time was a couple of weeks ago when I suggested Tesco managers could be 'waterboarded' using a tea-towel and a couple of bottles of diet cream-soda, but that's a different story).
🔻
Under the heading 'Dozens report seeing UFO over Merseyside' I am quoted as saying that "it was a 'rule of thumb' that mysterious lights in the sky generally turn out to be floating Chinese lanterns". This is on the authority of me being a "Liverpool-born UFO expert" - obviously the best type there is.

Under normal circumstances I would say that I was misquoted, that this is an out-of-context sound-bite taken from a longer piece; that I spent a great deal of time explaining to the reporter that there are many varied and complex stimuli for UFO reports; and that I deplore this grotesque over-simplification of the detailed answer I gave.

But that is what I said, because it's true. OK?

No comments: